Church of St. John Zolotousty - Former Heart of Jesus Church - a brick building with a brick two colors (red and yellow) in the Neo-Roman style with elements of Gothic and skillfully combined stylistic features and architectural forms in many areas and historical eras. The church was built in a complex with a convent - frantsyshkanok sisters of the Holy Gifts. Founder and first abbess was the sister of Maria Cross (Ludwig Moravian).
Ludwig, youngest daughter and Hieronymus Teklya and Moravian, which belonged to the petty nobility, born in Rokoshi (Poland), August 22, 1842 Early osyrotivshy, she decided to devote his life to God. August 8, 1857 Ludwig joined the Order felitsiyanok. After postulate (Test) 16 months, December 8, 1858 receives tonsure with the name Katherine. In April 1866 comes to a faction, where £ 5 July in order to enter Trois frantsyshkanok Gifts Mother's name Mary of the Cross. There Moravian decides to establish a monastery in Poland. Yes, May 4, 1871 in frantsyshkanok group of seven men arrived in Poznan and in the village Brink founded a monastery, a Superior [was Mary of the Cross. A year to the monastery suffer Gniezno, and November 18, 1873 - to the city.
Over three years, the monastery housed in non-adapted and room on the street. Baking, 45, was very necessary building relevant church and monastery. Having received the consent of the local church authorities, Moravian, December 3, 1876 received the blessing of Pope Pius IX. In May 1877 with the purpose of fundraising Mary went to Vienna, where was adopted by Emperor Franz Joseph I. There, she obtained the material support of Maria Theresa - the wife of the emperor's brother Karl Ludwig. July 10, 1877 Moravian buys land for building the church on the street. Kurki (composer), whose area is 2 hectares in 1934 Ari 4 m and the same building area of 35 m and 50 ariv. This hill was located at a distance from the center and soon received from lvovyan called "Holy Hill". The area, on the one hand, raised concerns whether people come to worship the most holy gifts, and with another location away from the hustle and bustle was adequate for monastic life. The church and monastery were designed in the famous architect, rector of the Lviv Polytechnic Zakhariyevych Julian, who also oversaw the construction works carried builder K. Gregor. September 13, 1877 was the dedication of the cornerstone.
Despite the numerous donations of wealthy people, for the construction was not enough. Decided to take up not only in Galicia but also in Austria, Czech Republic,
Saxony. Thus, costs associated with production of the altar and "Eucharistic throne" which was to be executed a brilliant sculptor Leonardo Marconi with the most expensive alabaster, marble and gold, covered Prince of Liechtenstein and his daughter Teresa - wife of Bavarian Prince Arnulf. Generous donations to the construction of the monastery gave Countess Constance Zhevutska-Ivanovo: in particular, funded the development of the Chapel of Jehoshaphat Kuntsevych. After her death, the daughter of Countess Maria Ernestina Stadnitska and continued to look after their Melenyevska construction.
Settling new monastery dating from November 10, 1880 and construction of the Temple and monastery lasted until the 1889 consecration of the Church and Monastery held on 29 September 1889, headed by the Apostolic Nuncio in Vienna Archbishop Alois Halimberti. He concelebrated by Archbishop of Lviv, representing three rites: Latin - Severin (Moravian), Byzantine - Sylvester (Sembratovych) and Armenian - Isaac (Isakovich). The event gathered a large number of clergy and faithful 'and lasted eight days. Divine Liturgy turns three chief priests conducted their rites. The new sanctuary was declared as its architecture and refined for precious ornaments, a gem of Lviv, Galicia decoration. The temple gained fame as one where the parents zvershuvalas prayer for children.
The temple and monastery built in a quadrangle. The roof was covered eternitom church and monastery - roof tiles. In Munich, in the studio with old tradition produced wonderful stained glass windows with a beautiful range of colors and Blown Glass, analogues of which in Eastern Europe there. Five major at the altar of the donations made by the ladies-man and Sap'yehy Countess A. Hausner and Kovnatskoyi Semenskoyi-Levitsky. Smaller donations were stained Princess and Countess R. Sangushko Mnishek, Stadnytsia, Potocki and family Dzyedushytski. The temple with the cross-vaulted Rebrov was painted gilded frescoes of great beauty with elements of Christian symbolism, a well knit with floral, geometric, shaped ornaments. Center of the sanctuary was a "Eucharistic chairs and two side of the throne. On the left side of the nave was neo-gothic altar of Our Lady refuge of sinners, sponsored by Count A. Hausnerom, and the right - St. Joseph statue in Munich which gave Earl Sosnovsky. When church was built two side chapels: the right side of St. Francis with a large marble statue - J. Countess Lubetskoyi donation, on the left - St. Josaphat. The floor is paved in marble temple at the expense of family Hizhytskyh. L'masters produced carved, with elements of inlays, wooden bench.
Mother Mary last years of his life is very ill. 23 I 1 D ^ January 1906 Moravian sent for treatment to Cannes (France), but three days later in a train, near Monte Carlo (Italy) dies. 10 lyuhoho of Mary was interred in the cave temple, tomb, which was under the altar. On the white marble slab engraved tombstone inscription: "Here rests in peace with the Lord, Mother Mary of the Cross - founder and first abbess frantsyshkanok PD on Polish soil. Died January 26, 1906 God and my all! "There is evidence netlinnosti her blessed remains. By praying to her miracles occurred, and therefore started the process of glorification of the ranks of the blessed.
After World War II and the Church | Monastery were transferred to the Ministry of Health - are placed 7 th 1 st department of infectious hospital. During kilkadesyatylitnoho use premises for other purposes, Temple suffered significant damage and many of the decorations, unfortunately, was completely lost. Only the 1991 decision of the Lviv Regional Council and the wing of the church of the monastery were given to the Orthodox Church. Next year the Temple was consecrated as the church of St. John Zolotousty (Archbishop of Constantinople, the great Doctor of the Church? Christ, theologian IV-V cent.), And the Monastery was placed educational building of the Lviv Theological Seminary. On the initiative of first rector of Metropolitan. Fr. V. Politalo, Temple was equipped for worship. Right-hand side of the monastery, which still held the city shkirvendyspanser in 1998 also gave HSS.
Since 2005 the abbot of the temple with the support of parishioners and parishioners carried out the necessary measures to restore the former greatness and glory of the Temple, namely: a restoration of the facade, made repairs and offset the porch roof, thanks to financial support G. Bowman (UK) restored unique stained glass windows (restorer A. Jankowski). The temple was filled sacred: the cross of crucifixion (the end hoops cent.) - The gift of family A. Yurash, two icons of the late IHIH century. and new icons by artist L. Tverdokhlib.
Today at the Church operates Catechetical Sunday School for children and youth organization named after St. Peter Mohyla.